Park FAQs

Table of Content

Advisories | Age | Alcohol | Camping | Domestic Pets | Drones | Fees, Discounts, & Memberships | Fires & Fireworks | Fishing | Foraging & Harvesting | General Park Etiquette | Maps | Music & Noise | Opening & Closing dates | Photo Submissions | Smoking, Cannabis, & Vaping | Swimming & Water Safety | Boating & Lake Rules | Reservations & Permits | Picnics | Trails | Vehicles & Parking | Washrooms | Winter Operations


What advisories are in effect?

  • Fire and alcohol bans may be in effect.

Please contact the park prior to arrival to confirm status.

TICK CHECK! Before you leave, make a tick check part of your “outdoors” routine, don’t forget to check your pets too. For more outdoor safety tips, please visit

back to the top ↥


Are there age limits for any programs?

  • You must be 18 to obtain any permit including camping, picnic, and boat rentals.
  • Swimming admission rates and rules vary by age group. Click here for more information.

back to the top ↥


Can I consume alcohol in the park or campground?

  • Responsible alcohol consumption is permitted only on registered campsites. There may be an alcohol bans in place depending on the date of your visit. Please contact the campground prior to arrival.

For Picnics, the consumption or sale of alcohol is strictly prohibited. Groups may request special alcohol authorization. Click here for more information.

back to the top ↥


When is Check-In/Check-out?

  • Check in is at 2:00 pm
  • Check out is at 12:00 pm

Do you offer Radio-free Camping?

  • We do not have radio free areas, however, please respect your fellow visitors and our family friendly facilities and keep excessive noise down at all times. Quiet hours are from 11:00 pm – 7:00 am.

What can I bring to my campsite?

  • A camping permit includes 2 adults, 4 kids, and one vehicle.
  • Additional people (up to 6 additional people total) and additional vehicles can be added for a fee. Additional cars will need to park in a nearby parking lot rather than onsite.
  • Camping units are one of the following: two tents or one RV (trailer or motorhome) per camp site. Homemade campers or tiny homes are not permitted.

Can I use a generator?

  • In keeping with our no excessive noise policy and observed quiet hours, power tools and power equipment, such as chainsaws and generators, are not permitted.

Can I use fireworks?

  • Fireworks are not permitted in TRCA parks and facilities.

Can we camp in large groups?

  • We offer group camping for groups of 20 or more people. COVID-19 restrictions may apply. Rates may vary as well as occupancy, please contact the campground to inquire.

All camping rules are on the back of the campsite permit. Click here for more information.

back to the top ↥

Domestic Pets

Can I bring my dog or pet?

  • Yes! Up to 3 dogs and cats are permitted per group or campsite. Click here for more information.
  • Please ensure that your pet is secured by a leash that does not exceed two metres long for everyone’s safety.
  • Municipal bylaws apply in all TRCA parks. Please pick up after your pets and dispose of their waste properly.

back to the top ↥


Can I fly my drone in conservation parks?

  • No. A Remotely Piloted Aircraft System or drone cannot be operated in TRCA conservation parks, lands, and campgrounds without authorization.

back to the top ↥

Fees, Discounts, & Memberships

What are the fees for camping, swimming, general admission?

  • Please see our comprehensive fee listing for public facilities and programming.
  • Admission to some parks can be paid in advance online such as Albion Hills, Boyd, and Kortright.
  • Fees are reviewed and approved by our Board of Directors on an annual basis.

Are TRCA Parks part of the Ontario Parks Free Admission Program?

  • Conservation Parks are not part of the Ontario Parks system.  As such, Ontario Parks free admission does not apply to our parks.  To enjoy unlimited general admission to our locations, become a Conservation Parks Member for access to all TRCA Conservation Parks, including Albion Hills, Heart Lake and Bruce’s Mill.

Why do I pay admission?

  • User fees fund park operations and provide amenities such as washroom facilities, groomed trails, and picnic shelters.
  • Daily admission is good for the day and can be used to re-enter or enter other TRCA Parks, so keep your receipt handy for the day.

Do you offer memberships or annual passes?

  • Yes, 12-month membership passes are available to purchase online. Click here for more information.
  • There are 3 different membership levels: individual, senior, and family memberships.
  • Membership holders receive free general admission to all TRCA and CVC Conservation Parks, Black Creek Pioneer Village, and Kortright Centre, inclusive of parking fees.

Do you offer discounts?

  • Purchasing our membership pass offers free general admission and discounted pricing. Members receive discounts on items such as weekend camping, concessions, swimming pools and equipment rentals (based on program availability).

Can I get a refund?

  • Our refund policy varies. Due to being an outdoor facility please check the weather prior to your arrival. Please check your permit or with park staff for details.

What methods of payment are accepted at TRCA Facilities?

  • Visa, Mastercard and Interac Debit. *AMEX is accepted at some locations.
  • Cash and personal cheques are not accepted.

back to the top ↥

Fires & Fireworks

Can I have a campfire or use fireworks?

  • Campfires are only permitted on designated campsites and a valid permit. All local municipalities also have by-laws prohibiting fires outside of registered campsites. In many cases, there is no reliable source of water to safely extinguish a fire so please enjoy your campfire responsibly.
  • Fireworks are not permitted at TRCA parks and land to protect wildlife and reduce the risk of uncontrolled fire.
  • Campers must ensure that fires are started and maintained in designated receptacles. Campfires must never be left unattended. In the event of a fire ban, campfires will not be permitted, so please check ahead of time.
  • Movement of any wood materials within, into or from TRCA property is strictly prohibited in accordance with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. The movement of firewood poses a substantial risk to the environment. Transporting firewood may seem harmless but can lead to the spread of pests such as insects, plants and diseases. Firewood is available for sale at the park office.

back to the top ↥


Can I fish?

  • Yes, many parks offer fishing opportunities. MNRF fishing regulations apply. Additional fees may apply where active stocking occurs. Remember to bring your valid fishing license. Click here for more information.

back to the top ↥

Foraging & Harvesting

Can I pick wild leeks, mushrooms, etc. and take them home?

  • No. Removal of any vegetation, animals, soil, or rocks, in whole or in part, is permitted at any time. Plants, soil, rocks and fallen trees provide habitat for a wide variety of animals, insects and other plants, as such, their removal can cause disturbance to their sensitive ecosystem. Pruning of trees and shrubs for limbs is not permitted as plant health can also be damaged by removal.

back to the top ↥

General Park Etiquette

Please be considerate to those around you and the spaces you have come to enjoy.

Do your part in keeping our parks clean! Remember to carry out what you carry in. Please dispose of waste, garbage, recycling, and hot ashes in the bins provided.

Check out our Outdoor Safety Tips before your visit.

Zero Tolerance Policy:

  • Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) provides a safe and respectful environment for its visitors and staff to enjoy. Verbal or physical abuse toward anyone will not be tolerated. Inappropriate behavior will result in removal from our properties and may be reported to the police.

back to the top ↥


Where can I find maps?

  • We have many parks and lands that you may want to visit! Please start here to find the maps you require.

back to the top ↥

Music & Noise

At the Conservation Parks, visitors can play music during their visit during operating hours, however amplified music is not permitted. Music must be kept at a reasonable volume to respect other groups and the surrounding community.

At the Campgrounds, no excessive noise at any time. Quiet hours are from 11:00 pm – 7:00 am.

back to the top ↥

Opening & Closing Dates

Conservation Parks operating dates and hours vary by location and season. Only Albion Hills Conservation Park and TRCA’s Conservation Lands are open year-round. Click here to find a list of our locations and their specific operating dates and times.

Note that there is no winter maintenance at most locations, so please be mindful of potentially unsafe conditions. In the event of an emergency, EMS services may be delayed in locating you, putting unnecessary strain on those services.

back to the top ↥

Photo Submissions

Where can I submit photos or find photos of your parks?

back to the top ↥

Smoking, Cannabis, Vaping

Can I smoke?

  • Note that tobacco, cannabis smoking, and electronic cigarette (vaping) are permitted on registered campsites. Please be mindful of neighbours.
  • In all TRCA parks, smoking tobacco, cannabis or vaping is not permitted within 9 metres of areas including buildings or shelters; and 20 metres around children’s playground; or recreation areas such as basketball courts, volleyball and beach volleyball areas, designated swimming areas, soccer fields, and around the sporting or spectator areas.
  • Various legislation applies in TRCA parks, lands and campgrounds such as the Conservation Act, the Liquor Licence Act, the Highway Traffic Act and Municipal Bylaws. The Smoke-Free Ontario Act, 2017 contains rules about tobacco and cannabis and the Cannabis Control Act, 2017 contains rules about cannabis which apply in TRCA parks.

back to the top ↥

Swimming & Water Safety

Where can I swim?

  • TRCA has swimming pools and splashpads. Click here for more information.

Can I swim in lakes and streams?

  • For the health and safety of our visitors, and health of the environment, TRCA does not allow swimming in lakes and streams in its jurisdiction.
  • The wide expanse of TRCA make it impossible to assure water safety, quality, and the protection of sensitive species at risk are addressed. Hazards due to flooding are monitored by the TRCA. Click here for more information.

Can I bring my own boat or rent a boat?

back to the top ↥

Boating & Lake Rules

What are the boating and lake rules?

  • Life jackets or personal floatation devices must be worn by all persons while on the water. Make sure yours fits well and it is fastened properly.
  • Always stay seated while in a boat, kayak, or canoe.
  • If a thunderstorm or lightning is approaches, leave the water immediately.
  • TRCA does not permit the use of motorized watercraft of any sort.
  • Inflatable rafts or devices are prohibited unless marked with D.O.T. approval.
  • Paddle Boards are prohibited.
  • No diving or swimming from any watercraft.
  • All boaters must stay within the designated areas.
  • Persons renting equipment must be 18 years of age or older.
  • Persons under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
  • No “horseplay” in any watercraft.
  • Weight and capacity restrictions on all watercraft must be adhered to.
  • Boating is permitted during daytime hours of operation only.

back to the top ↥

Reservations & Permits

Do I need a reservation or permit?

  • It is recommended to make advanced camping reservations due to the high demand. Camping permits are issued upon check-in. Click here for more information.
  • Reservations and permits are required for large, organized gatherings such as a corporate or family picnics, a wedding, or a sporting event, due to the resources and space required. Click here for more information.
  • Permit holders must be 18 or older and, in some cases, may need additional insurance for third-party catering, bouncy castles, or any large temporary structure.

back to the top ↥


Can I have a picnic?

  • Yes.
  • Large, organized picnics should reserve a picnic site in advance. Shelters and BBQs are available at certain locations. It is recommended to make a reservation in advance to secure your site. Be kind to the environment and use provided bins for waste disposal. Click here for more information.

Can I bring a BBQ?

  • You may choose to bring your own propane or charcoal BBQ. Please dispose of propane canisters and hot ashes appropriately.

back to the top ↥


Are there trails to hike or cycle on?

  • Yes. Please follow permitted uses, directions and guidelines listed on our trail maps, signs and trail blazes. All established trails have post markers to help identify where you are if you need assistance.
  • Trails may be temporarily closed for maintenance or events. Please pay attention to posted signage and/or check-in with site staff for more information.
  • After hours use of trails is permitted during daylight hours, unless otherwise posted. For example, trail closures due to seasonal or maintenance activities will be posted at the trail head.
  • Enjoy nature responsibly! Remember to not disturb wildlife or plants and stay on designated trails and manicured park space to protect habitat and species at risk. This is an easy way to protect our environment for others and future generations to enjoy.
  • Check out our Outdoor Safety Tips before your visit.

Are your trails open for mountain biking?

  • Select locations offer mountain bike trails. Click here for more information.
  • Trails on Conservation Lands are open-year round, while most of our Conservation Parks are closed for the winter season (from November 1 to May 1) when trail maintenance becomes difficult and dangerous.
  • Seasonal closures are common in the spring due to soft and muddy trail conditions. These closure prevent damage to the trails and the local environment.

Vehicles are not permitted on any TRCA trail, except for authorized maintenance vehicles. Unlicensed and uninsured motorized vehicles, such as ATVs, dirt bikes and golf carts, are not permitted. Golf carts are only permitted on designated golf course pathways. The Highway Traffic Act regulations apply in all parks and lands.

Horseback riding is permitted on some trails at Claireville Conservation Area, East Duffins Headwaters properties, Nashville Conservation Reserve, Palgrave Forest and Wildlife Area and West Duffins Headwaters properties.

  • Check out the trail maps and trail head signs for more information.
  • Equestrians must yield to pedestrians. Cyclists must yield to pedestrians and equestrians.

I’m cycling on a multi-use trail and come across an equestrian. Who has the right of way?

  • All trail users are expected to be courteous to others. The acceptable practice of sharing the trail would be that cyclists must yield to hikers, pedestrians, and equestrians. Equestrians must yield to pedestrians.

back to the top ↥

Vehicles & Parking

Where can I park?

  • Parking is limited to parking lots and campsites, if registered to it. If unsure where to park, please ask a Conservation Parks staff member onsite.
  • Please stay on roads and parking lots to help protect the environment. Parking is not permitted on grass areas unless directed by staff.
  • Please do not park in areas where it is prohibited.

Is parking included in admission?

  • Vehicles and parking are covered with general admission or a valid camping or picnic permit.

Can I ride my ATV, dirt bikes and golf cart in the Parks?

  • Unlicensed and uninsured motorized vehicles, such as ATVs, dirt bikes and golf carts, are not permitted. Vehicles are not permitted on any TRCA trail, except for authorized maintenance vehicles. The Highway Traffic Act regulations apply in all parks and lands.

back to the top ↥


Are there public washrooms?

When are they open?

  • Washrooms are open during operating hours.

back to the top ↥

Winter Operations

What parks are open during winter?

Can I still enter closed parks?

  • There is no winter maintenance performed at most locations, so please refrain from entering any location where there are potentially unsafe conditions present. In the event of an emergency, EMS services may be delayed in locating you, putting unnecessary strain on those services.

back to the top ↥