Replacing an Existing Home

Replacing an existing home is considered DEVELOPMENT under the Conservation Authorities Act and a permit will be required if the project is proposed within a regulated area.


Many properties within Toronto and Region Conservation Authority’s (TRCA) jurisdication were developed in areas of natural hazards, along the shoreline or within wetlands prior to the introduction of TRCA’s Regulation.

Redevelopment of these properties represents an opportunity to reduce the risk to life and property due to flooding, or to relocate buildings and structures away from sensitive natural areas, while allowing for moderate expansion where permitted under TRCA’s policies.

Why You Need to Apply for a Permit

Under Ontario Regulation 166/06, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) regulates and may prohibit work from taking place within valley and stream corridors, wetlands and associated areas of interference and the Lake Ontario waterfront.

If your property is regulated, you must apply for a permit from TRCA prior to carrying out any redevelopment.

Replacing the existing development on a property is considered development under the Conservation Authorities Act.

The Permit Process

  • Make a complete TRCA Permit Application submission.
  • Your application is assigned to the appropriate Planner.
  • The assigned Planner reviews the application and determines whether it is complete. You will then be notified via email of the status.
  • Once the application is deemed complete (including the application fee), the Planner will begin their review and schedule a site visit. If additional technical review is required, your application will also be circulated to TRCA technical staff.
  • Once the Planner has completed the site visit, their initial review, and has received technical comments from technical staff, an initial set of comments will be provided to you. Additional studies or a revised submission may be required.
  • Once the revised submission is received, the Planner will circulate any required studies and drawings to the appropriate technical staff.
  • Once all technical comments have been addressed, and the Planner has confirmed the proposal complies with applicable TRCA Living City Policies, the Planner will process the TRCA permit for approval.

Note: If your property is within the City of Toronto, please also make the necessary submission to the City’s Ravine and Natural Feature Protection (RNFP) staff concurrently for any tree injuries or removals as a result of the proposed development or construction. LEARN MORE.

Please note that the Conservation Authorities Act is applicable law and your municipality cannot legally issue a building permit until a TRCA permit or permit clearance has been obtained for works within a regulated area under Ontario Regulation 166/06.

Submission Requirements

  • Application Form (see above) — all signatures required
  • Lot Survey – to include existing development / structures on the property
  • Plans and Elevation Drawings showing:
    • Existing top of slope if the property backs onto the ravine. TRCA will confirm the existing top of slope location and this line may be adjusted as per a site visit by TRCA staff. A study may be required to locate the stable top of slope.
    • Limit of any other natural features including wetlands, limit of vegetation and/or flood plain elevations.
    • Existing and Proposed development and dimensions.
    • Setback dimension from the top of slope (or stable top of slope where applicable) to the proposed development (if applicable).
    • Floodproofing measures (if applicable).
    • Location of temporary erosion and sediment control fencing to be installed during construction to prevent construction debris from entering the ravine, or the municipal sewer.
  • Permit Fee: See below for details.

*Please be advised that additional technical information (eg. geotechnical slope stability assessment, structural engineering letter with stamped drawings) may be required once staff have carried out an initial review and a site visit (if applicable).


The base permit fee is $995 or $1,315 ($1,492.50 or $2,630 if the property is located in a Special Policy Area) as per the TRCA Permit Fee Schedule. The fee includes a site visit if applicable. Fees may be higher if the project is complex. Payment can be provided via personal cheque made payable to TRCA or by providing credit card information on the application form.


Associated Documents

TRCA Permit Application Form
Permit Application for Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses (Pursuant to Ontario Regulation 166/06)

TRCA Administrative Fee Schedule For Permitting Services
The Fee Schedule adheres to the Provincial Ministry of Natural Resources Policies and Procedures for Charging of Conservation Authority Fees, the TRCA’s Fee Policy Guideline 2009, and the range of planning services consistent with TRCA’s Memorandums of Understanding with area municipalities.

TRCA Planning and Development Procedural Manual

The Living City Policies