Partners in Project Green’s 10-Year Anniversary Shines Light on Sustainable Business Leadership
Sustainable business, municipal and community leaders gathered with Partners in Project Green at the Powering Clean Economy conference and awards at the International Centre on November 29, 2018 to celebrate ten years of collective environmental impact and outstanding leadership.
As part of the celebration, Partners in Project Green announced that over the last decade, this community of 650 organizations has diverted 20,000 tonnes of waste from landfill, reduced CO2 emissions by 120,000 tonnes through energy savings projects, and diverted 1.4 billion litres of water.
“Central Ontario Building Trades is very proud of the collaborative relationships we enjoy with our affiliates and congratulate the Partners in Project Green community on their impressive achievements over the last decade.” — James St. John, Business Manager and Financial Secretary, Central Ontario Building Trades
Partners in Project Green was initiated in 2008 by the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA), the operator of Toronto Pearson International Airport, and Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) with the goal of developing an internationally recognized community of sustainable business leaders known for its competitive, high-performance and eco-friendly business climate.
Since then, sustainability projects have included:
- Establishing an initial electric vehicle charging network across the GTA.
- Organizing the People Power Challenge, which has resulted in more than 50,000 employee commitment pledges.
- Diverting unusual material from landfill, including Toronto Zoo’s panda waste bamboo.
- Installing low-impact water technology that has saved the equivalent of 556 Olympic swimming pools of water.
Partners in Project Green recognized 22 Legacy Leaders for their sustained engagement and collective action over the last decade:
- Alectra Inc.
- Bentall Kennedy
- Canadian Tire Corporation
- City of Brampton
- City of Mississauga
- City of Toronto
- Coca-Cola Canada
- Credit Valley Conservation
- Lincoln Electric Company of Canada
- LoyaltyOne Co.
- Maple Leaf Foods Inc.
- Molson Coors Canada
- Pratt & Whitney Canada
- Region of Peel
- Robert Bosch Inc.
- The International Centre
- The Regional Municipality of York
- Toronto Pearson
- Town of Caledon
- Unilever Canada Inc.
- Velcro Companies
- Woodbine Entertainment
Partners in Project Green also recognized the following sustainable business award recipients:
- Intuitive AI – Clean Economy Audience Choice Award
- Calstone – Green Business Excellence Award winner
- Lauren Ead, University of Toronto – Youth Environmental Award (Undergraduate) presented by Coca-Cola Canada
- Christopher Ford, University of Toronto – Youth Environmental Award (Graduate) presented by Coca-Cola Canada
- City of Mississauga – Recycling Collection Drive Award
- Bentall Kennedy – Recycling Collection Drive Award
- Toronto Pearson – Energy Leaders Award
- Mother Parkers Tea & Coffee – Energy Leaders Award
Said John MacKenzie, Chief Executive Officer, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority: “Since it was established 10 years ago, the members of Partners in Project Green have completed 2,500 sustainability projects that continue to make direct positive contributions to the health of our environment. This success is rooted in our community of committed business leaders who strive to find efficiencies that not only make sense for their business, but help improve their local community as well. We are thrilled to be celebrating with them today.”
Added Hillary Marshall, Vice President Stakeholder Relations and Communications, Greater Toronto Airports Authority: “Toronto Pearson believes in being a good neighbour and we strive to have a positive impact by investing in community-building and environmental stewardship initiatives like Partners in Project Green. This initiative has shaped how the business community implements sustainability projects. We are proud to be a founder and look forward to working together for many years to come.”
Partners in Project Green would like to recognize its program sponsors:
- OK Tire
- Alectra Utilities
- Central Ontario Building Trades (COBT)
- Diabetes Canada
- EY Canada
- Schneider Electric
- Coca-Cola Canada
- Bullfrog Power
Enbridge Gas Distribution
Enbridge takes its responsibility to deliver energy where it’s needed, safely and reliably, today and well into the future. Sustainability is core to how Enbridge does business
About Partners in Project Green
Initiated by GTAA and TRCA, Partners in Project Green supports a growing community of businesses working together to strengthen the Greater Toronto Area’s economy and environmental sustainability by fostering collaborations with businesses and municipalities, supporting the installation of green technologies and participating in environmental projects that drive results.