Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) is proposing to undertake remedial bank stabilization works for sanitary infrastructure protection along Pomona Creek, in the City of Markham. The main objective of the works is to stabilize the failed bank for underground sanitary infrastructure protection and reduce overall public safety risks.
The project area is located along a stretch of Pomona Creek, a tributary of the East Don River. The work area is located within Royal Orchard Park, located northeast of the intersection of Yonge Street and Royal Orchard Boulevard, in the City of Markham.
Learn More About This Project
In 2017, TRCA conducted a geomorphic study to assess erosion hazard risks and provide preliminary design alternatives for protection works on sanitary infrastructure owned by the Region of York within the proposed project area. The assessment confirmed the need for remedial sanitary infrastructure protection to prevent the exposure of utilities within Pomona Creek. The proposed remedial bank stabilization works for Site P-080 include the removal of an existing gabion basket (Figure 1) followed by the installation of a 40 metre long vegetated buttress with three associated rock vanes. The detailed designs for this “repair in place” solution have been prepared under a Schedule A+ Municipal Class Environmental Assessment.
Funding for the detailed design development and implementation of these remedial works has been provided through the Canadian Water and Wasterwater Funding (CWWF) Grant Program. For more information regarding the CWWF program, please click here.
Scope of Work
- Geomorphic study and Environmental Impact Statement (completed in 2017)
- Detailed design development (completed 2018)
- Obtain all necessary permits and approvals to proceed with construction (pending fall 2018)
- Implementation of remedial works (January 2019, pending the receipt of all permits and approvals)
- Site preparation including tree removals, site isolation and erosion & sediment control set up (January 2019)
- Removal of existing gabion basket structure and installation of a 40 metre long vegetated rock buttress with associated rock vanes (January 2019)
- Site restoration, including native tree and shrub plantings, & demobilization (February 2019)
For your safety, please respect all posted construction signs and stay clear of the work areas and equipment. Your cooperation and patience is appreciated.
This projected has been developed under a Schedule A+ Municipal Class Environmental Assessment.
Notice of Construction signage will be installed within Royal Orchard Park prior to construction mobilization. Construction notices will also be delivered to properties in close vicinity to the project area.
TRCA is currently gathering the required permits and approvals in preparation for construction in January 2019. Further project and construction updates will be provided in the weeks to come as the project progresses.
The Project Planning Team is located at TRCA’s Boyd Field Centre Office in Vaughan:
and Division, Erosion Risk Management
9755 Canada Company Avenue
For more information regarding this project, please contact Phil Wolfraim, Project Manager:
Phil Wolfraim, Project Manager