Instructor: Jill Attwood
This event is by invitation only. Please contact Imtiaz Shah firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The practice of erosion and sediment control (ESC) during construction is a critical component necessary for the protection of the natural environment including sensitive water bodies, terrestrial habitat and aquatic ecosystems. The success of any construction site ESC strategy depends on a comprehensive, site specific ESC plan followed by effective installation and ongoing maintenance of the proposed ESC measures. Proper knowledge and training for all individuals involved in the ESC process, from tendering to design to installation and inspection, is a key step toward improving industry practices.
Participants will come away with a better understanding of the importance, and the rationale for good erosion and sediment control, an increased knowledge of the various types of best management practices available, alternative options for dealing with problematic sites and key recommendations for protection of Low Impact Development (LID) practices. Participants will also learn about the tender process, specifically the challenges tenders present and how to make them work for you. Finally participants will have an opportunity to review and discuss examples of both good and bad ESC plans to help reinforce the principles of good ESC planning.
Who Should Attend?
This erosion and sediment control training will benefit anyone who is involved in designing or reviewing ESC plans or specifying, inspecting, installing or maintaining ESC practices including consulting engineers, environmental consultants, agency staff, contractors and contract administrators.
1. Understand how construction activities can negatively affect the environment
2. Identify key pieces of Federal and Provincial legislation that pertain to the practice of ESC and explain the concept of due diligence and the implications of non-compliance
3. Summarize the fundamental concepts of erosion, sediment and sedimentation
4. Understand the differences between erosion control practices and sediment control practices and where and how they are intended to be used during construction
5. Identify key strategies for protecting LID measures during construction
6. Understand the basics of tender documents and how to effectively work within their scope
7. Identify key ESC strategies/approaches to implement on your next construction project
Download the Workshop Agenda for your additional reference.
Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
This event is being run in partnership with UTRCA.
TRCA HST Registration number is 10808 8584 RT001