The On the Don e-newsletter is a quarterly online publication that celebrates the Don River watershed and the efforts to rehabilitate its waters and lands.
Click here to download back copies of On the Don (1992 to Present).
To subscribe to the On the Don e-newsletter, complete the following fields and click the Subscribe button:
Watershed Plans are used for the management of human activities and natural resources within a watershed. They are intended to inform and guide municipalities, provincial and federal governments, TRCA, nongovernment organizations, and private landowners as they update their policies and practices for environmental stewardship.
The Toronto and Region Conservation Authority approved the Don River Watershed Plan – Beyond the 40 Steps (2009) at Authority Meeting #7/09, held on September 25, 2009. Copies of the Authority Resolution #A149/09 and the final watershed plan, are available below for download.
Authority Resolution #A149/09
Beyond Forty Steps (2009)
- Beyond Forty Steps Executive Summary and Introduction to the Implementation Guide
- Beyond Forty Steps
- Implementation Guide
Forty Steps to a New Don (1994)
Current Conditions Reports
Current Conditions Reports provide technical background information to support the watershed planning process. The reports below have been prepared n support of the 2009 Don River Watershed Plan: Beyond Forty Steps.
- Air Quality – Memo on Current Conditions (2009)
- Aquatic System (2009)
- Baseflow and Water Use (2009
- Cultural Heritage (2009)
- Fluvial Geomorphology (2009)
- Geology and Groundwater Resources (2009)
- Hydrology/Hydraulics and Stormwater Management (2009)
- Land and Resource Use (2009)
- Nature-based Experiences (2009)
- Surface Water Quality (2009)
- Terrestrial Natural Heritage (2009)
Report Cards & Progress Reports
Report Cards & Progress Reports provide an evaluation of watershed health and an ongoing call to action.
- Don River Watershed Report Card (2013)
- Forging a New Deal for the Don (2006)
- Breathing New Life into the Don (2003)
- A Time for Bold Steps (2000)
- Turning the Corner (1997)
Walk the Don Trail Guides
Walk the Don Trail Guides are a series of self-guided interpretive walks located throughout the watershed in Toronto and York Region. Click here to download a trail guide.
Other Links of Interest
Toronto and Region Conservation
- CTC Source Water Protection
- The Conservation Foundation of Greater Toronto
- Toronto Remedial Action Plan (RAP)
Don Watershed Municipalities
Other Don Watershed Focused Groups
- East Don Parkland Partners
- Friends of Glendon Forest
- Friends of the Bartley Smith Greenway
- Friends of the Don East
- Pomona Mills Park Conservationists
- Richmond Hill Naturalists
- Task Force to Bring Back the Don
- The Taylor Massey Project
Other Organizations of Interest
- Ducks Unlimited Canada
- Live Green Toronto
- Ontario Nature
- Ontario Streams
- Pollution Probe
- Save the Oak Ridges Moraine
If you have questions or comments about the Don River watershed, contact Arlen Leeming, Project Manager, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: (416) 661-6600, extension 5283